Over the past week my partner and I have been in the process of moving house while working and going to school. The challenges have definitely been present but the most impactful has not been having access to internet/wifi at home! We live in Metchosin and have just moved to a bigger place around 5 minutes from where we were living previously. After scheduling to have wifi connected to our new home roughly 2 weeks ago, we have been living without connection to the world (or so it seems). After patiently waiting, we have now been informed that Telus will not be able to setup internet at our address as it is deemed unsafe for the technician to do tests required. This has made school more difficult, especially to keep up with any assignment that involves internet connection.

Through this experience I have been realizing just how much we rely on technology for education. I think it is a crucial piece to our society that severely limits an individual who does not have access to these services. A few things I began to ponder as a future teacher candidate were:

1. How might you accommodate a student who did not have access to a computer/device, and/or internet at home?
  2. How can we set an example that teaches students to be a responsible member of the “tech community”, while also being able to “survive” without it’s services?
  3. How might we create balance in the classroom to ensure that technology is being effectively to compliment other teaching elements such as the outdoors, reading materials, and natural sources?

Although it has been rather refreshing, I hope to get some kind of internet/wifi to our new home soon. Wish me luck!