Musical Growth Plan: Final Demonstrations

The time has finally come to post my final demonstrations! I want to first off thank Anita for a week extension that really allowed me to put in the extra practice. From this, I was able to get myself to a place where I felt more comfortable playing and submitting my final product. I did not want to give up and submit something that I wasn’t proud of. This taught me that reaching out for help and letting your instructor know where you are at is very helpful. People cannot help you or understand what you are going through unless you tell them or ask!

According to my Musical Growth Plan, I wanted to be able to play the song the Bear Necessities by this time. Unfortunately, I was unable to master O Canada to start, forcing me to revise my plan. I was able to master a happy birthday first and scaffold my learning in a way that made more sense for my skill level. I felt proud that I could make this revision, but also a little disappointed in myself as well. Moving forward, I wanted to focus on playing O Canada in a fluid way that had clear notes and sound. I found it difficult to get that sound when the notes were played with only have a covering. I hope that this video proves that some of these kinks were sorted out!

I found that when I slowed the song down I could focus on getting the right sound and now the right speed. For me, this helped because I was getting a successful result and sound, and the speed was something that I could develop and work on overtime. I spent 10-15 minutes practicing every day and found it easier each time. By going through this process and blogging along the way I was able to critically think about the errors I was making and what notes and factors seemed to be the most challenging at the time. This gave me the ability to reflect and revisit these areas, which ultimately allowed me to highlight my successes when they were had! I enjoyed reading back on all of my blogs today as it really does take you on a journey of musical growth.

My final is not perfect by any means, but it is leaps and bounds from where I was a few weeks ago! I hope you can see my efforts (please disregard the second to last note)!

P.S. My wifi was not strong enough to upload the file from my computer (because of where I live in Metchosin our connection is very weak) so I recorded it on my phone and have uploaded it this way. I hope that this works and apologize for the quality. Thank you again for your kind extension Anita – it helped me so much!

Video (1)

Musical Growth Plan Blog #6

For this blog post, I wanted to discuss a few things before submitting my final blog post and video! I have had a few major breakthroughs this week by following my positive mindset goals as discussed in my last blog. After things fizzled out a bit in terms of figuring out my finances due to the COV-ID madness, I was able to up my practicing to a few minutes each day. From here, I started to figure out which notes I felt most comfortable with, and those that I struggled with. I realized that I was able to play notes that required my thumb, first, second, third, and fourth fingers(A, B, C, C#/Db, D, G, etc) but struggled with the notes that required my fifth, sixth, 7th, and 8th fingers (C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb,  E, F, F# /Gb, G#/Ab, etc). Additionally, notes that required half of a finger on the hole seemed to be a challenge.

I started to think of ways to help myself remember the fingering for each note I struggled with, so I wrote out each note on 8 little circles and one thumb circle to represent my fingers for the song of “O Canada”. This helped me immensely, as I have no musical background and was honestly quite lost when trying to learn to read music. This was a great way to push me forward and start to bring the song together. It took a few hours and a lot of patience, but I was determined to get this project done (hopefully successfully!).

I hope that I can incorporate the recorder in ways that can enhance many different lessons and subjects. I believe that integrating music into other subjects, as discussed this semester, is a great way for students to gain more motivation in class and ultimately learn more in the process. I really enjoyed the unit listed in our textbook on whales that incorporates music and science. I would love to use this lesson in my future classroom with the help of the recorder to play easy songs that educate students about whales and oceans. This would also be a fantastic gateway to teach students about eco-friendly practices to save our oceans which is something I am extremely passionate about. Through this breakthrough of teaching myself the recorder in my own way, I am confident that I could pick up other simple songs that my students would enjoy!

Final EdTech Blog! GoogleClassroom

In becoming a future teacher, one of the many lessons I have learned thus far is to connect with your community members. Whether it be those in your cohort, those in local schools, or your teachers, all play a huge part in your learning and your success. I hope to continue making lifelong connections as I progress through the education program and navigate towards my career!

One of the programs that really caught my attention from the start was Google Classroom. I find the layout to be very organized, and the tools to be effective! This Google tool also allows groups to easily collaborate, by sharing sources, documents, and projects.

I belive that in my future career I will definitely be using Google Classroom for my students to keep everything in one organized place!

Pros to Google Classroom:

•  It helps teachers create and organize assignments quickly
  • Allows for teachers to provide feedback efficiently
  •  Allows for easily communicate with their classes
  • Facilitates creativity
  • Allows for collaboration and individual submissions
  • Can work as an assessment tool
  • Is fast and efficient
  • Has a variety of tools
  • FREE

Cons to Google Classroom:

• Not all students will find it user friendly
  • Not all students will have a device at home to do group homework
  • Not all students have access to the internet
  • Students with various designations may find it difficult to use these kinds of technologies and/or devices

Things I have done on Google Classroom in the program so far:

• Unit plans
  • Lesson Plans
  • Task Analysis
  • Quizzes
  • Student Assessment
  • Proficiency scale rubrics
  • Assessment rubrics
  • Reflections
  • Surveys

To conclude, my experience with Google Classroom has been plentiful and definitely beneficial to my education and future teaching career. Thank you for all of your guidance this semester Rich!

Zero-Waste: During a Pandemic

It is no question that life has gotten a lot different over this past month, and the past few weeks especially. Although I have been working really hard to keep up with my Zero-waste tendencies, it is very difficult when dealing with the circumstances we are currently under. unfortunately, foods that have lest waste are perishable, meaning that they would not last long enough when stocking up for a few weeks at a time.

I understand that the health and safety of people at this time bypasses the need to lessen your daily waste. Because of this, I have also realized that one of the points I made in my earlier blog still stands: just do your best. There isn’t much we can do right now but take things day by day and do our best to be kind and caring humans. Kind to others, kind to the planet, and kind to ourselves.

It felt easy to beat myself up about things I was buying that I wouldn’t normally, but I also can’t afford not to at this time. I remembered my blog post and decided that I have to be kind to myself first right now, and then do what I can to be kind to the planet. Here is a list of ways to make eco-friendly choices during the pandemic:

• Choose items with less waste
  • Choose items that come in jars or containers you can reuse
  • Freeze your food
  • Make recipes from scratch if you can (then freeze, if needed)
  • Always recycle when you can
  • Be conscious of everything you buy, but be kind to yourself, too!

Many of the resources that I have posted about previously, such as Bulk Barn, are no longer safe to the public for the potential spread of COVID-19. Although no one could have predicted this type of end to the semester, or my Free Inquiry for that matter, I am trying to see the good in a not-so-good situation. Here is a list of positive things in this uncertain time:

• More time with loved ones
  • More time to read!
  • More time to learn how to slow down
  • More time for fresh air
  • More time for exercise
  • More time for hope

Thanks for a wonderful semester Rich!

Future Zero-waste Goals: A Garden!

Now that I am living on 10 acres, my mind has been opened to all of the gardening possibilities. I grew up in a house where we grew different veggies in the spring, and I loved the convenience of going out to the garden for things like kale or chives. Not only does it save you money, but the crops are sure to be free of nasty chemicals too!

Since I have been researching how to lessen my waste, I realized that growing your own veggies is a great way to cut down on the plastic and packaging as well. I was really excited that this all tied in together and began thinking about veggies that I would want to grow. The list I came up with includes things I buy often that are also relatively easy to grow:

• Kale
  • Chives
  • Herbs (of all different varieties!)
  • Strawberries
  • Snap peas

I felt that this was a great starter list to begin researching how to make a garden. My goal is to get the soil ready and designate an area to begin this process. I am lucky that my mom has experience and will be able to help me along the way. In setting this goal, I believe that I will be able to save money, reduce my waste, make healthier choices, and spend some bonding time with my mom. I am really looking forward to starting this project!!

Make your own soup!

One of the biggest things I have realized on this journey is that making your own is usually, almost always, better for the environment. With the exception of a few things, packages foods like soups and sauces always come in some kind of container. I wanted to explore how to cut down my waste on something that I eat often. So I came to the conclusion… soup!

I eat soup quite often and decided to start making my own for a few reasons:

1. It cuts down on waste (obviously)
  2. You can make soups very healthy
  3. They don’t need meat
  4. They can be cost-effective
  5. And you can freeze them for later!

All things considered, I thought this was a pretty good idea. During the process, I bought a slow cooker to help me save on some time!

The first soup I wanted to try was butternut squash. You can make it nice and thick (more filling!) and it is delicious! Trying to use up more ingredients in my fridge, I threw in things like carrots, green onion, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes, as well as the ingredients that soup called for (onion, garlic, coconut milk, salt, pepper, cayenne, yams, and of course, butternut squash)

After cooking it all up together and blending it down, I was left with a large batch of an inexpensive and delicious soup! I froze 4 portions that would feed 2 people each, and ate the rest for dinner. The real win was, my boyfriend loved it, and there was no meat or cheese in the recipe LOL.

Zero-waste – In Methchosin!

Growing up in Metchosin was definitely something I feel lucky to have done. You are exposed to small community connections and spend a lot of time outdoors. Once I moved downtown, I knew that I would always want to eventually end up back out this way. After three years of being in town, my boyfriend and I found a great place at a reasonable price… on 10 acres! With an emphasis on my dog, we are all very happy out this way.

One of the additional bonuses is my mom living 5 minutes down the road. She has a small hobby farm and it is always great to get over there and see the animals. There are two very important animals, Thelma and Louise, who have been helping me out during this Zero-Waste free inquiry journey! Thelma and Louise are two pigs filled with personality and affection. Another one of their fine qualities is their appetites. They eat. A lot. Moving out here, I have become so much more conscious of the scraps I threw away and what can be salvaged for the pigs. This has often helped me make healthier choices (more vegetables, less junk) when keeping them in consideration, and has really decreased my waste overall!

I am very lucky to have a built-in composite system that is free of charge. These little things always make me feel a little more grounded to the things that matter in life – like family and caring for our environment. Although I don’t plan on having any of my own one day, I and very thankful to reap the benefits of my moms hobby farm that is now just down the road!

Here is a quick video of them enjoying the snow! (They like to give fist bumps)

The Inquiry Teacher

Although I wasn’t able to make it to George Jay Elementary School because of work, I had a really cool realization after seeing students blog posts on the trip that I already follow Rebecca on Instagram! It is a funny world we live in these days. Here I was feeling very disconnected from the field trip and that I had missed out on an opportunity I wasn’t familiar with and then poof! I made a connection to my own social media account and an educational influencer who always inspires me.

Once I had found @inquiryteacher on Instagram, it really changed the way I thought of education, especially in younger grades. Her approach to play is so interesting and I really liked the materials she uses. I found myself looking into similar crafts to make for my future classrooms on platforms like Pinterest. She inspires a lot of the projects I would like to do one day! She likes to give students autonomy and variety so that they can explore things in a different way!

She also wrote a book, which I have ordered, called “Inquiry Mindset” which encompasses her educational approaches and how students can benefit from them. I really look forward to reading this book and growing more familiar with her amazing ways! As always, it is wonderful to reflect on all of the incredible opportunities we are provided through this program (whether we can make it or not), and I feel very fortunate to be apart of this community! As a future teacher candidate, I have learned that even if you can’t be present all the time, to make the most of resources offered around you. If I had not known about Rebecca prior, I would have really missed out even more in not going to visit her classroom!

Avoiding the Squeaks!

Currently, I am trying to master O Canada on the recorder, and did not realize that it would be as challenging as it is for me! That being said, I am really trying to focus on the consistent practice instead of mastery. That way, I can begin to see my small improvements and keep up to pace with my Musical Growth Plan.

One of the difficult parts of the recorder if maintaining proper fingering, pressure, and breath, to avoid the squeaks! I wanted to look into tips and tricks to help get a smooth and pleasant sound when playing, and was surprised just how helpful they were! So of the tips that helped me most were as follows:

• Avoid “overblowing” – too much breath and pressure can make the recorder sound squeaky. You have to practice being gentle enough to avoid this, but still, have enough breath to produce a clear sound. A trick that was advised is to act as though you are blowing a bubble but don’t want to pop it! This was a really great visual for myself, and also solidified the importance of using language like this in my future classrooms.
  • Proper hand placement – I have learned that this is extremely important to the sound you will get out of the recorder. You need to make sure that your hands are properly placed (right hand on the bottom) in order to get a clear sound. This is because your fingers need to be completely covering the holes. In order to do so, you must make sure you are applying light and gentle pressure to play the notes properly, but aren’t applying to much pressure to hurt your fingers and make transitions difficult.
  • Positive energy! – this for me was a must when playing. As I have listed in my blogs previously, this journey has been difficult for me! Once I started to look at it as a fun activity rather than homework, I found that I could pick up the recorder for a few minutes here and there without as much anxiety. My work and school schedule make me a very busy person and it is easy for me to get overwhelmed. When I allow myself to relax and focus on the positives, I am grounded back to the commitment I have made to school to better my future no matter how difficult it may be at times. It often helps to envision myself as a teacher using these tools and I know that have basic skills on the recorder will help me. Not only could I bring songs into the classroom, but it will also allow for another platform to bond with students on as they are practicing an instrument that I am familiar with.

Thank you Anita for your patience and the opportunities you have given me in class!

Using Your Resources

Throughout this process I have been trying my best to keep up with the pace! A few weeks ago a discovered that taking time to get familiar with your resources will save you time and stress in the long run!

Youtube is a great tool that has helped me throughout this process. When I first came across a series of videos that give tutorials on recorder songs, I thought what I great idea! When I started with “Happy Birthday “, it was a much easier experience than my second chosen song, “O Canada”.  Because of this, I felt very discouraged and wasn’t sure why the video was playing so fast! I couldn’t keep up with note transitions and I kept feeling frustrated that they wouldn’t slow it down for beginners to learn. Then when we had a Personal Growth day, I was with Lauren in the learning commons practicing my notes. She asked if she could join in to play “O Canada” with me and I said of course! Once the video started to play I was trying to keep up to speed and she informed me that the video slows down after the song plays through once. Imagine that… All this time I had been rewinding the video back to the start because I could never master the first 2/3rds of the song!

So from this, I have really resonated with the FPPL: learning takes time and patience. From this, I have realized that if I were to have reached out to my resources (my peers) in class who were also playing the recorder, I may have learned some tips and tricks earlier on. With more patience, I also would have been able to do one full run-through of the video before playing to really get familiar with the notes, the transitions, the song, and the resource (the YouTube video!).

In moving forward, although I am nowhere near perfect, my note transitions and my speed have improved! And more importantly… my patience!

« Older posts