This past week has been anything but relaxing. Tack on the stress of the semester wrapping up amidst the chaos – it is no wonder I found my self so easily overwhelmed! That being said, TechEd was easily able to switch to online instruction via the tools we used to present such as ScreenShare and Zoom.

Now at the beginning of the semester, I had a very tough time getting started with wifi in my new home in Metchosin. It’s beautiful, spacious, and quiet – but it lacks in good internet connection. I had immediately worried that I wouldn’t be able to connect to the Zoom group call as my wifi often isn’t strong enough to stream Netflix (I know, devastating).

My intuition was right and I immediately had connection problems on my laptop when trying to log on to the Zoom call. I then tried to download the app on my phone but no luck. Then in despair, I was texting a class member who suggested FaceTime. What a great idea! So she held me up for the 2 hours class was held on the Zoom chat so that I could be apart, and I even got to present while she held me up to the webcam. This to me is one of the ways that technology can really bring us all together.  I was able to think on the fly of different programs I could use to make it possible for me to join our virtual class. I believe that this is something that all teachers deal with when technologies do not work or fail in front of their classes while teaching! I learned to stay calm and brainstorm with peers how to make things work in alternative ways. This mishap provided me with some real-life experience that I am sure will help me in my future teaching career. AND I have zoom now installed on all of my devices ready to use when my wifi wants to cooperate!

The pros to having less internet connection? In this time I have been able to read 3 whole novels (outside of class readings)! Something I never could have thought possible. From this hiccup, I was still able to see hoe zoom calls worked and was honestly surprised at how smooth everything went considering the odds that were against us. I want to say also that having a teacher like Rich is extremely helpful. He is supportive and understanding and ultimately makes sure that all students are able to get the most out of the technology we are using to help them in their future careers. So thank you, Rich! You have made even the most uncertain of times feel manageable in terms of workload and support!