One of the biggest things I have realized on this journey is that making your own is usually, almost always, better for the environment. With the exception of a few things, packages foods like soups and sauces always come in some kind of container. I wanted to explore how to cut down my waste on something that I eat often. So I came to the conclusion… soup!

I eat soup quite often and decided to start making my own for a few reasons:

1. It cuts down on waste (obviously)
  2. You can make soups very healthy
  3. They don’t need meat
  4. They can be cost-effective
  5. And you can freeze them for later!

All things considered, I thought this was a pretty good idea. During the process, I bought a slow cooker to help me save on some time!

The first soup I wanted to try was butternut squash. You can make it nice and thick (more filling!) and it is delicious! Trying to use up more ingredients in my fridge, I threw in things like carrots, green onion, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes, as well as the ingredients that soup called for (onion, garlic, coconut milk, salt, pepper, cayenne, yams, and of course, butternut squash)

After cooking it all up together and blending it down, I was left with a large batch of an inexpensive and delicious soup! I froze 4 portions that would feed 2 people each, and ate the rest for dinner. The real win was, my boyfriend loved it, and there was no meat or cheese in the recipe LOL.