Growing up in Metchosin was definitely something I feel lucky to have done. You are exposed to small community connections and spend a lot of time outdoors. Once I moved downtown, I knew that I would always want to eventually end up back out this way. After three years of being in town, my boyfriend and I found a great place at a reasonable price… on 10 acres! With an emphasis on my dog, we are all very happy out this way.

One of the additional bonuses is my mom living 5 minutes down the road. She has a small hobby farm and it is always great to get over there and see the animals. There are two very important animals, Thelma and Louise, who have been helping me out during this Zero-Waste free inquiry journey! Thelma and Louise are two pigs filled with personality and affection. Another one of their fine qualities is their appetites. They eat. A lot. Moving out here, I have become so much more conscious of the scraps I threw away and what can be salvaged for the pigs. This has often helped me make healthier choices (more vegetables, less junk) when keeping them in consideration, and has really decreased my waste overall!

I am very lucky to have a built-in composite system that is free of charge. These little things always make me feel a little more grounded to the things that matter in life – like family and caring for our environment. Although I don’t plan on having any of my own one day, I and very thankful to reap the benefits of my moms hobby farm that is now just down the road!

Here is a quick video of them enjoying the snow! (They like to give fist bumps)